Council Tax

Review of single person discount

To ensure our records are up to date and people are billed correctly, we are reviewing households that receive the 25% single person discount. If your circumstances have changed and you are no longer the only adult in your property, you have time to cancel your discount before we start the review. Cancel single person discount online  - you will need your Council Tax reference number and details of those over 18 in your house.

Single person discount

A Council Tax bill is based on two or more adults living in a property as their main home. If only one person over 18 lives in the property, we may reduce your Council Tax by 25%.

If there is more than one adult in the property, and all but one are not counted for Council Tax purposes - for example, a full time student - the council taxpayer will still qualify for a 25% discount. However, this would not be a single person discount, but a student disregard - so you should apply for the reduction that is appropriate to your household circumstances.

You can only claim a single person discount for your main home. You cannot claim it for a second home.

If someone who normally lives with you is temporarily away from home, for example working away or on holiday and only comes back occasionally, your property still counts as that person’s main home and you wouldn’t be eligible for single person discount in these circumstances.

How to apply

Apply online. The Council Tax bill for the property must be in your name and you’ll need your Council Tax reference number to hand. If the bill is not in your name, please contact us.

You’ll be asked to provide details of who is no longer resident at that address, why they have moved and where they are now living, if relevant. If you don’t provide all of the necessary information, we may refuse your application.

Apply online 

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

What happens next?

If your application is successful, we'll process the change immediately and you can view your revised bill via your online account.

If we can't process your application, you'll receive an email advising you to contact us.

If your circumstances change

If you are no longer the only person aged 18 or over living at the property you must cancel your entitlement to single person discount. 

To cancel a single person discount, use the button below and select 'cancel single person discount' under 'View single person discount options'.

Cancel a single person discount