Building regulations approval

You must check if you need approval before starting building work. Building regulations approval is different from planning permission and you might need both for your project. 

Building regulation approval makes sure the work you're doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards and gives you the certificates of compliance you need when you want to sell your home or building.

You need approval for most types of building work, including:

  • a new building
  • an extension, loft or garage conversion
  • alterations to the structure of the building
  • altering the means of escape
  • underpinning foundations
  • alterations to the drainage system of a building
  • cavity wall insulation

You'll also need approval for home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electric, windows, doors, and roofing, if the person carrying out the work is not a member of the Competent Person SchemeCompetent person schemes are a way for tradespeople to prove their ability to carry out certain work to required standards, instead of you applying for building regulations approval. 

Find out more about building regulations and whether they apply to your project on the LABC website.

If you're still unsure if your development needs approval, contact us.

Meeting the requirements of the building regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building. 

If you go ahead without permission or approval, you may need to alter or remove work in order to demonstrate compliance and/or to sell your property.