Building completion certificates

A building completion certificate is proof that any work done has been inspected by a competent building control surveyor and complies with building regulations. 

Certificates will be issued at the end of a building project by the local authority, if they are the building control body inspecting your work. Or you may receive your certificate from a private approved inspector or a member of a Competent Person Scheme in the case of electrical, plumbing or gas works.

Request a copy completion certificate

If you require a copy of your completion certificate, you will need to ask the building control body or private approved person who inspected your work. If this was the council's building control body, you can submit a request online below. 

When we receive your request we will contact you to let you know how much you need to pay and a link to pay online. The charge will vary depending on the level of work involved in finding the relevant record, starting from £25.

We can only issue copies to the owner of the property or a lawyer acting on your behalf.

If you do not want a copy certificate but want to know if one was issued, the charges above still apply. This is because the same level of work is involved in searching the records.

We respond to requests within 28 working days, strictly in order of date received. If a site inspection is needed we will arrange this to fit in with our current workloads.

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Request a copy completion certificate

We cannot process your request if we were not the building control body that inspected your work.