Building control reversion

If you have employed a private approved inspector to carry out the building control function for your works, this means the council's building control team does not need to approve the works.

However, if the private approved inspector can no longer carry out this function they should submit a cancellation notice (form 6) so that the work can revert back to the council's building control team.

Alternatively, if the private approved inspector is unable or unwilling to submit the notice, the person carrying out the works (contractor or homeowner) can complete a cancellation notice (form 7) online to inform us.

Next, you must register the reversion by completing the building control reversion form online below.

Is a fee payable?

Yes, but not on application. The fee will depend on what works need to be inspected for compliance and what records the approved inspector can provide.

How to apply

You can apply online for a reversion.

Please note, you will be prompted to upload supporting documentation such as scaled plans, drawings, specifications or other documentation to show the extent of the building work and demonstrate compliance with relevant building regulations. If you can provide this it will help us to progress your application.

Apply for building control reversion

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

What happens next?

We will review your application and contact you to arrange a site visit to determine the application fee.

After the site visit, we will email you with the amount you need to pay and a link to pay online.

When we have received your payment we can progress with the application.

If we do not receive payment and the works proceed this will be treated as unauthorised and could lead to enforcement action being taken.

On satisfactory completion of the project we will send you a Building Regulations Reversion Certificate for your records.