Planning and building control

Report a dangerous building or structure

If you are concerned about the condition of a building or structure being unsafe such that it presents an immediate safety risk to people in or around it, please let us know as soon as possible.

You'll need to tell us:

  • the location or address of the building
  • why you think it's unsafe
  • how long you think it's been unsafe
  • details of the owner, if you know them.

Building control can only deal with reports of unsafe buildings and structural issues.

If your concern is about a planning breach or a building that’s a nuisance to your community due to rubbish, flytipping, noise or private landlord issues, you must use the correct process – see options below for details.

Report a dangerous structure

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

What happens next?

We will inspect the building or structure. We will tell the owner what work they need to do to make the building safe. If the work is not completed, we may take further action in the interest of public safety. In some circumstances we may undertake work ourselves to remove the danger. The cost of doing this work will be charged to the owner.

Reporting process for concerns that building control do not manage