Adult Social Care

Money matters

Information and advice on a range of money matters - from benefits and pensions to help with debt and paying for care.

Hand holding a credit card typing on laptop

Paying for care

See our care charges information for examples of how much you might be expected to pay for care at home or in a care home and how to request a financial assessment.

The disabled facilities grant can help towards the cost of adapting your home so you can live independently.

Charities that work with particular groups may provide financial help or subsidised care in a care home. Search for grants on the Turn2Us website to see if you are eligible.

A direct payment is a different way of arranging services which meet your eligible needs.  Instead of the council arranging support services, we will give you the equivalent money which you can spend on purchasing support outlined in your plan.

Independent financial advice

You might find it helpful to seek independent financial advice and speak to a professional about your finances and what choices are available. These include charities and independent financial advisers (IFAs). 

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

SOLLA is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to raising the standards of practice of financial advisers supporting older people.

It helps people find independent financial advisers who specialise in the financial needs of older people. The individual is SOLLA-accredited rather than the company.

You can search for local SOLLA-accredited advisers on the SOLLA website.

Help claiming benefits

You can find lots of information about benefits entitlement on GOV.UK.

The Citizens Advice website has information and advice on benefits and tax credits and guidance on filling in claim forms.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Visiting Team can visit you at home (or in a hospital or home) to help with your benefit claim.

Online benefit calculators can help you work out which benefits you can claim.

The council's benefits service has information and advice on a range of benefits and support schemes.

Check if you are eligible for Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

Help with debt and money

Citizens Advice debt and money pages provide information on getting your finances back on track.

Citizens Advice Liverpool has a specialist team to advise on debt and money matters.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, see what support is available to help with Council Tax debt and managing money.


Find information about pensions and pension credits on GOV.UK.

Financial abuse

If you have concerns that a family member, carer or friend is controlling your money and taking advantage, please share with someone you trust. This could be a friend, relative, GP or social worker. You can also report it using our adult at risk process.

Find money advice services near you

You can search for local information on money matters on the Live Well directory.