Occupational Therapy for children
Wheelchairs, car seats and harnesses
The Children's Occupational Therapy Service is not commissioned to assess for or provide specialist car seats, harnesses or wheelchairs for children and cannot accept referrals for these items.
You do not need to submit a referral for an assessment. Please call Liverpool Wheelchair service on 0151 296 7765.
Car seats and harnesses
To arrange an assessment you will need to contact a company directly - we have listed some specialist companies below.
You will be expected to privately fund a car seat, although there are a number of charities that can provide support and we have listed some of these funding options below.
The following information may be useful when considering a car seat or specialist harness to keep your child safe in the car.
Support for children with a physical disability
The Windmill Special Needs Co. Ltd
Crelling Harnesses For Disabled Limited
Support for children who display challenging behaviour while in the car
- Use pictures and stories to explain certain routes - for example, a trip to their Nan’s and what is expected of them. Use social stories to help them understand that routes may change. Where possible encourage your child to identify what they see on the route as this will help make sense of the social story or give meaning to the picture-aid.
- If your child often kicks you or the driver’s seat when in the car then try positioning your child behind the passenger seat to reduce the level of distraction for the driver. This will also allow the driver to see what the child is doing.
- Try using a buckle guard to reduce the risk of your child undoing their seat belt when driving. For example, Buckle Boss or Angel Guard. These can be purchased from a number of online retailers.
- You may wish to consider a harness for the children who display extremely high-risk behaviours when travelling in the car. For example, Crelling harness or a Unisafety magnetic harness.
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - under 16 years of age. Phone 0843 504 0626
- Personal independent Payment (PIP) - over 16 years of age. Phone 0843 455 0087
- Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme. Phone 0800 456 1523
- Family Fund. Phone 01904 621 115
- Caudwell Children. Phone 0345 300 1348
- Turn2Us - Grant search
- Disability Grants
- Steve Morgan Foundation