Apply for or renew a pavement licence
A pavement licence allows bars, cafes and restaurants to place tables and chairs on the pavement outside their premises. Find out how to apply for a new licence or renew an existing one.
I already have a valid street café licence, do I need a pavement licence as well ?
No. If your business already has a valid street café licence, you do not need to apply. But if you wish to extend your hours of operation or increase the street café area please email email@example.com with your licence details and requested changes.
How much does a pavement licence cost?
The pavement licence fee is £100. Unfortunately, if we cannot grant you a licence, this fee will not be refunded.
How long will a pavement licence last?
All approved licences will last until 30th September 2024.
Standard conditions of licence
All licences will be granted subject to the following conditions which will also apply to licences deemed to be granted under section 3(8) of the Business and Planning Act 2020:
- keep within the width of the shop frontage
- keep the licensed area and furniture clean and tidy and comply with Covid-19 guidance and legislation, including social distancing
- only tables, chairs and benches and certain other types of furniture allowed. This includes furniture such as counters or stalls for selling or serving food and drink and tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed and barriers, umbrellas, heaters and other items associated with consuming food and drink outside
- all customers must be seated, with no vertical drinking
- no barbecues, fire pits or naked flames
- no amplified music or sports commentary
- all furniture must be removed from the pavement by 6pm, or a later time if specified in the licence
- must maintain Public Liability Insurance of £5m
- smoking of tobacco is not permitted within the licensed area and at least one 'no smoking' sign shall be visibly displayed within it
Apply for a new licence or renew one
Use the online form below to:
- apply for a new licence
- renew a licence that expired on 30th September 2023
You will be prompted to upload a drawing which clearly shows the layout of furniture, the area to be used and any existing street furniture, with dimensions.
What happens next?
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email with further details and a notice template. You must complete the template and clearly display the notice in the window of the premises for 7 days.
Following the notice period, we will then have a further 7 days to make a decision, and either reject or approve your application and issue you with a licence.
If you wish to discuss your licence proposal before submitting your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Commenting on applications
If you have any objections or comments to make about an application that we have received, you can submit a representation online within the 7-day consultation period.