Licensing and permits

Objects or structures on a highway licence

Do I need a licence?

For a building structure to over sail a highway, you must obtain a licence from the council.


A licence fee of £1,450 is payable.

How to apply

Apply online

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Application evaluation process

You may need planning consent before we grant a licence. Please contact the council's planning department.  You will need to submit technical drawings for evaluation, to make sure it meets the specified criteria.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed applications

If you feel your application has been unreasonably withheld or if there is a disagreement about conditions attached to your application, please contact us in the first instance.  An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate any issues.