Licensing and permits

Flagpole licence

Do I need a licence?

You must obtain a licence from the council to place a flagpole or pylon on a public highway.  Conditions may be attached and a fee will be payable.


A fee of £1,450 is payable for this licence.

How to apply

Apply online

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Application evaluation process

Planning consent may be required before a licence can be granted. Please contact the council's planning department for more information.  Applications must meet the council's specification criteria, which is site-specific and dependent  upon the details of the application.

Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations. 

Objections to any proposals will be presented to a council committee for consideration whether to issue the licence. You will be able to present your case for consideration at this committee. 

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. 

Failed applications

If you feel your application has been unreasonably withheld or if there is a disagreement about conditions attached to your application, please contact us in the first instance.  An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate any issues.