Licensing and permits

Cranes and wires over highway

Do I need a licence?

For a crane, wires or similar apparatus to over sail the highway, you need to obtain a licence from the council.  Conditions will be attached and you will need to pay a fee.

The applicant must be the owner, or the representative of the owner, of the apparatus.


A fee of £1,450 is payable for this licence.

How to apply

Apply online

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Evaluation process

You may need planning consent before we can grant a licence.  Please contact the council's planning department for more information.

Applications must meet the council's specification criteria which is site specific and minimum heights and extents, and operations apply.  Consent of the landowner which lies under the highway must be sought. 

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed applications

If you feel your application has been unreasonably withheld or if there is a disagreement about conditions attached to your application, please contact us in the first instance.  An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate any issues.