Licensing and permits

Section 50 street works licence

Do I need a licence?

You will need to obtain a licence from the council if carrying out streetworks which include the breaking open, boring or tunnelling under any street to place, adjust, repair, alter or renew any apparatus.

You must give one month's notice of your intention to break open the public highway. 

How to apply

Please email with your application request, dates and details.


  • Minor works £400 (£350 plus £50 admin fee)
  • Major works £1400 (£1350 plus £50 admin fee)