Advertising board ('A' Board) licence

Do I need a licence?

To place an advertising board on the pavement you must obtain a licence from the council. Conditions may be attached and a fee is payable.


The basic fee for granting permission is £200 for a three year licence.

How to apply

Read the guidance notes below then download, complete and return the application form (including your fee) to the address on the form.

Application evaluation process

In most cases planning permission will not be required for an Advertising Board , but if it is needed we will let you know once we have assessed your licence application.

Applications must meet the council's specification criteria for placing ‘A’ Boards on the highway. Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.

Objections to any proposals will be presented to a council committee for consideration whether to issue the licence. You will be able to present your case for consideration at this committee.

Please read the guidance notes carefully and contact us if you need any further information or help.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

Failed applications

If you feel your application has been unreasonably withheld or if there is a disagreement about conditions attached to your application, please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you should first contact the trader. You can do this in writing (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will recommend next steps. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.