Licensing and permits

Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO)

You need a TTRO when you want to stop or limit vehicle or pedestrian traffic on a road for planned works or immediate restrictions.

It can be for example:

  • a road or public right of way closure
  • a width, height or weight restriction
  • banned turns and speed limit changes

You can use a TTRO for:

  • planned roadworks such as installing or maintaining gas, electricity or water services
  • building works next to the road, such as large developments
  • special events (excluding street parties)

A TTRO can last up to six months for a Public Right of Way and 18 months for a road.

Do not submit a TTRO for street party road closures – refer to the street party application process

Before you apply

  • You can only apply for a TTRO if you have confirmed a start date with us and have been given a PAA (Provisional Advanced Authorisation) reference – you will need to enter this reference on the application form.
  • You must submit the TTRO at least 12 weeks before the proposed start date, unless we have agreed a start date less than 12 weeks.

If you do not have a PAA reference or need information on getting one, email and we will respond within 5 working days.


  • Planned works: £2,750 plus VAT
  • Emergency works: £2,200 plus VAT – we will identify emergency works at the point of the PAA discussion.

Payment includes:

  • £50 application fee
  • legal advertising and administration costs.

Apply and pay for a TTRO

Please have to hand:

  • PAA reference
  • Traffic management plan showing the traffic signs to indicate the closure or restrictions and diversion routes, where applicable.

Apply and pay online 

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.


If you cancel before the TTRO is issued or within 28 days before the order is expected to come into effect (whichever is earlier), a non-refundable administration fee of £50 will apply and we will refund the remaining balance.

There will be no refund for cancellations or date amendments where a notice has been issued.

Extending a TTRO

If you need to extend a TTRO, you must tell us as soon as possible, but at least two weeks before the end date of the existing order by emailing

Failure to submit an extension request without at least 2 weeks' notice may result in the restriction being lifted.

What happens next?

Once we have drafted and approved your TTRO we will send you the paperwork approximately 2 weeks before the start date. You must display this on the affected streets for the duration of the works.

You must formally notify residents, businesses, stakeholders and any other parties affected by the temporary road closures at least one week before the start date.

If the temporary road closures affect the use of any pay and display parking bays, you must contact Parking Services for the reimbursement for the loss of revenue. Find out how to apply for a parking suspension.