Roads and pavements
Apply for or renew a pavement licence
A pavement licence to allows bars, cafes and restaurants to place tables and chairs on the pavement outside the premises. Find out how to apply for a new licence or renew an existing one.
I already have a valid street café licence, do I need a pavement licence as well ?
No. If your business already has a valid street café licence, you do not need to apply. But if you wish to extend your hours of operation or increase the street café area please email email@example.com with your licence details and requested changes.
How much does a pavement licence cost?
The licence is free of charge.
How long will a pavement licence last?
All new licences will last until 30th September 2022. If your licence is due to expire on 30th September 2021 you must apply to renew it for a further 12 months, free of charge.
Standard conditions of licence
All licences will be granted subject to the following conditions which will also apply to licences deemed to be granted under section 3(8) of the Business and Planning Act 2020:
- keep within the width of the shop frontage
- keep the licensed area and furniture clean and tidy and comply with Covid-19 guidance and legislation, including social distancing
- only tables, chairs and benches and certain other types of furniture allowed. This includes furniture such as counters or stalls for selling or serving food and drink and tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed and barriers, umbrellas, heaters and other items associated with consuming food and drink outside
- all customers must be seated, with no vertical drinking
- no barbecues, fire pits or naked flames
- no amplified music or sports commentary
- all furniture must be removed from the pavement by 6pm, or a later time if specified in the licence
- must maintain Public Liability Insurance of £5m
- smoking of tobacco is not permitted within the licensed area and at least one 'no smoking' sign shall be visibly displayed within it
Apply for a new licence or renew one
Use the online form below for new applications, or to renew a pavement licence due to expire on 30th September 2021 for a further 12 months, free of charge.
You will be prompted to upload a drawing which clearly shows the layout of furniture, the area to be used and any existing street furniture, with dimensions.
What happens next?
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email with further details and a notice template. You must complete the template and clearly display the notice in the window of the premises for 7 days.
We will then have a further 7 days to make a decision, and either reject or approve your application and issue you with a licence.
Commenting on applications
If you have any objections or comments to make about an application that we have received, you can submit a representation online within the 7 day consultation period.