Street cafe licence - Tables and chairs

Do I need a licence?

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement you must obtain a licence from the council. Conditions may be attached and a fee is payable.


Various fees apply - these are detailed when you make your application.

How to apply

Application evaluation process

In most cases planning permission will not be required for a Street Cafe, but if is needed we will let you know once we have assessed your licence application.

Applications must meet the council's specification criteria for placing tables or chairs on the highway. Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.

Objections to any proposals will be presented to a council committee for consideration whether to issue the licence. You will be able to present your case for consideration a this committee.

Please read the guidance notes carefully and contact us if you need any further information or help.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online  if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

Failed applications

If you feel your application has been unreasonably withheld or if there is a disagreement about conditions attached to your application, please contact us in the first instance.  An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate any issues.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you should first contact the trader. You can do this in writing (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will recommend next steps. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

You can also contact us if your complaint is about noise or pollution, whether you are a consumer or if the complaint is between licence holders.